A Tale of 4 Micks

A Tale of 4 Micks

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"you've got a healthy toddler"


On Monday, we had Fletcher's one year well visit appointment. I usually schedule them first thing on Monday mornings so Adam is able to go with us, but on this occasion, he needed to go to work and finish a few things that he didn't get done on Friday. I don't have a problem with him not going. I can handle the shots and the question asking, but...Monday was different. Dr. Halbur came in and met with us. Checked his eyes, ears, looked in his mouth, made sure the boy parts were "there", asked about the things he's doing, what he's eating and what he "says". She looked at his growth chart and explained it to me (75th percentile in height, weight, and head circumference.) She told me, "looks like you've got a healthy toddler." Not really sure I like the word toddler, but I was happy with "healthy." Next, she informed me that he was due for four shots...FOUR?...and that he would have to go to the lab and get blood drawn...WHAT?!?! I'm pretty sure I didn't sign up for this part of the appointment. This is where the questions started. Anyway, in Iowa, they require all one and two year olds to get tested for lead...whatever.

{he had NO idea what was about to happen}

Doctor left, enter nurse with four needles. I put Fletch on the table and he's so good. I'm trying to distract him the best I could. Insert needle #1...he's fine. Eyes got big, but no tears. Insert needle #2...big eyes again and rapid breathing. Insert needle #3...SCREAM, TEARS, KICKING. At this point, I was so helpless. There was no consoling. It was pretty hard to bend over that tall table and kiss on him, so I dealt with the screaming and tears while needle #4 was inserted. Poor baby! It took a few minutes for me to get him calmed down, but I managed and then I got him dressed...just so we could go have another needle poke him. On our way next door, I was dreading what he was going to be like. Not sure what to expect, but once we were in, the gal told me to have a seat with Fletcher on my lap. She put an arm rest down for him to lean on, told me to hold his elbow and she grabbed his finger and PRICK. That was it. He tried to pull his hand away from her while she was getting the blood in the little tube thingy, and in no time, she was done. He was a champ. FINALLY, we were done at the doctors office. I felt like my boy needed a treat by this point, so we headed to Target to exchange a few things. I bought a mango smoothie for Fletcher. I told him he had to share with me...he didn't argue:) After this whole doctor office experience, I really wish Adam would have been able to attend...it would have made ME feel better.

April 11, 2009
Height: 20 1/2 inches
Weight: 7 pounds 9 ounces

April 12, 2010
Height: 30 1/2 inches
Weight: 23 1/2 pounds

No comments:

Post a Comment